10 Minute Breakfast Sandwich (That’s Perfect for Dinner, too!)
Written By: Sarah Ryan, MS, RDN, LD
Yield: 1 Serving
Sometimes getting breakfast (or dinner) on the table in less than 15 minutes is a must. Here’s a sandwich that packs the nutrition, doesn’t break the bank, and is ready in no time.
TIPS FOR BOOSTING NUTRITION:
- Bread- choose a 100% whole grain bread that offers 3+ grams of fiber and is less than 100 calories per slice.
- Vegetables- pile them high! Whatever you have would be delicious on this sandwich—tomatoes, leafy greens, and bell peppers would all be great add-ons.
- Follow MyPlate- be sure to balance out the rest of your plate with an extra serving of fruit and veggies. Check out this MyPlate Daily Checklist for more.
- Cheese-If you’re looking to reduce sodium, opt for a lower sodium cheese like Swiss or fresh mozzarella. Have lactose intolerance? No problem, many cheeses are naturally low in lactose including Swiss, Colby Jack, and cheddar.
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 2 slices of whole wheat bread
- ½ small avocado, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup shredded cheese of choice (or 1 slice of your favorite deli cheese)
- Sriracha (optional)
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Begin by heating a small skillet over medium-low heat with ½ Tbsp. of olive oil. Once skillet is heated through, add your egg and cook to your preference. Sunny side, fried, and scrambled would work. Pictured is fried egg over medium. Add freshly ground pepper and remove your cooked egg.
- Add remaining ½ Tbsp. olive oil to pan. Place one slice of bread onto heated skillet (you can also do this on a grill pan or panini press). Sprinkle on cheese, lay slices of avocado, drizzle sriracha, top with cooked egg, then finish with second piece of bread.
- Once bottom piece of bread has browned and cheese is melted, gently flip sandwich. Finish browning second piece of bread, approximately 2 minutes or until toasty.
- Cut sandwich in half. Serve with extra side of fruit and veggies.
465 calories, 25 g fat, 8 g monounsaturated fat, 849 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 10 g fiber, 20 g protein