Renal-Friendly Peppermint White Choco-Chunk Cookies
Recipe By: Avery Rhodes MS, RD, LD
Inspired by mint chocolate chip desserts, this festive cookie is sure to be a holiday favorite. With the use of white chocolate vs. milk chocolate this recipe low in both potassium and phosphorus, making it a safe choice for individuals with kidney disease.
Yield: 18 cookies
Serving size: 2 cookies
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 18 peppermint candies
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (135g) white chocolate chips
- 4 ounces (113g) white chocolate, coarsely chopped
- Set the butter out to soften, this step will take approximately 30 minutes.
- Place 12 of the peppermint candies in a zip-top bag and pound with a heavy pan until finely crushed.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the sugar, butter, egg and peppermint extract. Beat ingredients at medium speed until creamy, scraping the bowl several times.
- Stir together the flour, baking powder and salt. Turn mixer to low speed and add flour mixture. Beat until well mixed. Hand-stir the crushed peppermint candy and white chocolate chips into the dough. Refrigerate dough for 1 hour to chill.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Crush the remaining 6 peppermint candies. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Shape the chilled dough into 3/4-inch balls and place on the baking sheet 2-inches apart. Using your thumb, make an indentation on each cookie and top with about 1/2 teaspoon of the crushed candy.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove parchment paper from baking sheet and cool cookies completely.
- If using, melt the chopped white chocolate in the microwave in 20 second increments, stirring after each until completely melted. Drizzle over cooled cookies. Allow time to dry. Store in a sealed container with parchment paper or waxed paper between layers of cookies.
|Nutritional Information||Amount Per Portion|
|Total Calories||190 Calories|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|
|Total Sugars||12 g|
|Total Fat||7 g|
Analysis via Supertracker.usa.gov