Chocolate Cherry Clouds
Recipe By: Marie Whelen, MS, RDN, LD
Thanks to the walnuts, three of these cookies provide a good source of omega-3’s which may
reduce the risk of heart disease.
Yield: 4 dozen
Serving size: 3 cookies
- ½ cup walnuts, chopped
- ½ cup dried cherries, chopped
- 3 large egg whites
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 325° Line two half cookie sheets with parchment paper. Toss chopped cherries with walnuts to lightly coat cherries with walnuts and prevent them from clumping together.
- Beat egg whites on high speed of electric mixer until light and foamy. Gradually add sugar about a tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue beating until stiff peaks form when mixer blade is lifted. Add vanilla, and sprinkle cocoa over the egg white mixture. Beat at medium speed or fold by hand just until blended. It is OK to have some streaks of white at this stage. Fold in walnuts and cherries, taking care to avoid overmixing so that meringue will remain fluffy and light.
- Drop rounded teaspoonfuls onto parchment paper and bake at 325° for 15 minutes. Cookies will retain their shape, so they can be spaced 1/2” apart. Allow cookies to cool in oven for approximately two hours. Store in airtight container for up to one week.
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|
|Total Sugars||12 g|
|Added Sugars||11 g|
|Total Fat||3 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|