Pomegranate-Studded Farro Salad
Written By: Sarah Ryan, MS, RDN, LD
Yield: 4 Serving
This crowd-pleasing whole grain salad pairs perfectly with your favorite protein for a complete meal.
- 1 cup farro
- 5 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
- ¼ cup raw almonds, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. fresh mint, chopped
- ½ cup cow’s milk feta cheese
- ¼ cup orange juice
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Ground pepper to taste
- Rinse farro and add to a medium sauce pan with broth. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer for about 20-25 minutes or until the farro is tender. Drain off excess liquid and set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl, combine cooled farro with pomegranate seeds, mint, almonds and feta.
- Whisk together olive oil and orange juice. Season with ground pepper to taste. No need to add salt unless you want to, the feta will add a nice salty bite. Drizzle dressing over salad and stir to combine.
- Farro salad is best at room temperature or cold and can be made ahead of time. If you are storing it overnight, add the mint right before serving so it isn’t wilted. Top with 3 oz. baked chicken (pictured), sliced steak, crunchy oven roasted chick peas or grilled shrimp.
If you’re unable to find pomegranate, blueberries, diced pear, strawberries, or dried cherries would also work well in this salad. The almonds could also be swapped out for your favorite nut of choice. I recommend no salt added pistachios, cashews, walnuts or pecans.
443 calories, 24 g fat, 14 g monounsaturated fat, 540 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 13 g protein